Sunday, July 21, 2013

He IS but He ISN'T

We left for the Provo MTC on Monday, July 1, 2013.  Our plans were to stay with our cousin Jan, attend a session at the Salt Lake Temple and report to the MTC on Wednesday at 1:30 p.m.  It was interesting driving for 12 hours in a car with a Missionary.  We listened to church music for the day.  It wasn't as bad as we thought it would be.  Tuesday was a great day.  Garrett and Mitchell went and did baptisms and Connor, Dad, and I did a session.  There is something special about being in the Salt Lake Temple.  What a great experience that was.  After attending the temple, walking through the new mall, having a yummy piece of berry pie from the Lion House and picking up a few more things from Deseret Books, we made our way back to Jan's house for a yummy steak dinner that we made at her house.  To finish off the last night, we set off a few fireworks to "I Am a Child Of God."  It was quite fun.  

Wednesday was an emotional day.  We got up, packed the car with Connor's luggage and headed for Walmart for one last run through.  On the way there, we had to stop by Krispy Kreme doughnuts.  We then headed for BYU to see if there was anything he couldn't live without.  We had to take care of some banking things, we ate at the Cougarette and then it was time.  We went over to the Provo Temple to say our last goodbyes.  There is nothing that can prepare you for the heartache a mother goes through as she holds her child in her arms for the last time in 2 years.  You want the time to just stop, but you know it can't.  Now that I have sent two boys on missions, one on a plane and one taking to the MTC, neither way is easy!  Just like ripping off a band aid, you just have to do it.  We finally, climbed into the car and drove across the street into the MTC.  We were told to pull to the left and follow the directions.  I was driving and I was told, "Ok, Mom, you have 2 1/2 minutes to say goodbye.  And he wasn't kidding.  We were one of the first cars to pull in and we kept following the motions to keep driving.  We drove all of the way in and around the corner and down the hill.  I think there were only 3 other cars in front of us.  We all got out of the car and the tears began.  I didn't care.  I love my boy and I wasn't going to hide it.  I actually did better that the other mother's around us.  I hugged him one more time and he walked away with his missionary escort.  I had my camera and I yelled out his name.  He turned around and waved and a snapped a picture.  He turned and walked up the hill and he was gone.  And his journey begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment